We have all been nervous from time to time when thrown into a new social setting. Anything from starting a new job, to going on a first date, or becoming extremely nervous when having to present or give a speech to a large group. You may have felt shy around your crush, antsy from losing a friend in a large crowd, or a little apprehensive about being in a new social situation. It’s normal to feel some form of anxiety in these situations. On the other hand, people who suffer from social anxiety feel a higher level of stress on a much more frequent basis.
Understanding Social Anxiety
Social anxiety, sometimes called social phobia, is a deep, intense fear of being judged, rejected, or viewed negatively in a social setting or situation. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America states that approximately 15 million adults and 40 million people total suffer from social anxiety today. The emotions caused by social anxiety can ruin relationships, leave you feeling isolated, and lead down other roads like depression. Emotional and mental symptoms of social anxiety include but are not limited to:
- Intense fear of interacting or talking with strangers
- Fear that others will notice that you look anxious
- Avoiding situations where you might be the center of attention
- Having anxiety in anticipation of a feared activity or event
- Spending time after a social situation analyzing your performance and identifying flaws in your interactions
- Upset stomach or nausea
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
Understanding social anxiety is only the first step. People who do not suffer from social anxiety may struggle to understand someone with an anxiety disorder. The critical thing to remember is that there are tools, resources, and trained professionals who can help. There are holistic approaches to social anxiety that aim to do more than put a band-aid on the symptoms. Natural treatment and remedies can work together to help calm and eliminate social anxiety symptoms and study the causes on a deeper level.
Natural Treatment for Social Anxiety
Natural treatments include alternative medicines and healing practices. Natural treatment often calls for resources that come from within, along with natural elements such as plants, flowers, and herbs. Natural treatment plans don’t only focus on symptoms but take an introspective look at the mind, body, and spirit collectively to provide healing. Natural treatment is an excellent solution for those who want a healthier and natural alternative to modern medicine. There are professionals such as holistic health practitioners that will work directly to determine which natural treatments and remedies will benefit an individual based on their needs.
Natural Remedies for Social Anxiety
After doing research or consulting with a health practitioner, an individual suffering from social anxiety will find that many natural remedies will relieve their symptoms and leave them feeling more in control. These remedies will provide natural healing to prevent triggers before they arise.
- Flower Remedies (also known as botanical and herbal medicine) Flower and plants have been used for healing since ancient times and 25 percent of modern medicine contain plants or the extract. Various botanicals will provide different health benefits.
- Yoga Breathing- Yoga breathing consists of different breathing techniques that are practiced during yoga but have been known to provide health benefits such as reducing anxiety and stress.
- Mindfulness Meditation- Mindfulness meditation is a form of meditation that helps you become aware of your thoughts and emotions to improve your overall mental health.
If you or someone you know suffers from social anxiety, keep in mind that you are not alone. You can take steps to understand yourself on a deeper level to cope and better yet heal. You deserve the life you want to live. If you want more information about treatment for anxiety and how to go after the life you want, visit us here